Sunday December 8, 2013
If you're looking a different way to celebrate the holidays, try one of these wild ideas:
- Parents, make out your shopping lists and let the Brevard Zoo take care of the kids during their Holiday Extravaganza Night Hike! The kids can discover wildlife and explore habitats through games, crafts and animal encounters, while you get your holiday shopping done. Hike is for ages 5 to 12. The cost is $24 for members and $27 for non-members.
Also, join the in holiday fun December 21-23 from to see the Zoo give gifts to the animals between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Santa and Mrs. Claus will be on hand from 9:00 until 11:00 a.m. and from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. on December 22 and 23. Activities are free with Zoo admission.
- Lion Country Safari, America's first cageless zoo, will celebrate the annual Christmas With the Chimps on December 19, beginning at 10:30 a.m. (must arrive by 9:45). This is the only opportunity throughout the entire year that guests are invited to get out of their vehicles to watch as Santa delivers wrapped presents for the chimps. Surprisingly, some chimps toss presents back Santa's way too!
- Lowry Park Zoo presents Wild Wonderland, a nighttime holiday experience. December 13-15, 17-23 and 26-30, 2013 from 6:30 to 10:00 p.m. the zoo will open to feature live reindeer, a zoo-wide display of lights, a frozen forest, holiday-themed games and much more!
- Disney's Animal Kingdom welcomes the holiday season with "Mickey's Jingle Jungle Parade," blending the spirit of the Animal Kingdom with the joy of the holidays. The parade is included in regular park admission and is now delighting guests through January 2, 2014.
Friday December 6, 2013
If you haven't been naughty, but have nicely completed all your decorating and shopping check out these holiday celebrations and treat yourself to a little fun this weekend!
- The days are numbered for you to enjoy Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party at Disney's Magic Kingdom — just nine more special nights until the magic ends!
- Everyone's holiday favorite, the Candlelight Processional at Epcot will continue every night through December 30. Celebrity, Whoopi Goldberg will read the Christmas story this Friday and Saturday and Sigourney Weaver on Sunday through Tuesday.
- Experience Flamingo Garden Food Trucks in Lights from 5:00 until 9:00 p.m. today — Friday, December 6 — and enjoy Flamingo Garden's Garden of Lights Friday through Sunday, December 6-8, from 5:00 until 7:00 p.m.
- Of course, you can't think of Christmas lights without thinking of the Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney's Hollywood Studios. They will continue to glow through January 5, 2014.
- Another amazing display of holiday lights can be found in St. Augustine during their annual Nights of Lights celebration that continues through January 31, 2014.
- Thrill and chill with Frosty the Snowman at Gaylord Palms ICE!!
- Christmas music mega-sensation Mannheim Steamroller will be in concert at Universal Orlando this weekend during the kick-off of Universal's holiday festivities that includes annual favorites Macy's Holiday Parade and Grinchmas.
- SeaWorld Orlando's holiday celebration continues with The Polar Express Experience, Winter Wonderland on Ice and more through the end of the month.
- Preview the Wild Wonderland at Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo this Saturday, December 7. The zoo is filled with millions of lights, animatronic displays, free zoo rides, live entertainment and so much more. Additional dates to enjoy this festive holiday celebration are December 13-15, 17-23 and 26-30, 2013.
- Celebrate the holidays at the beautiful Edison & Ford Winter Estates with their annual Holidays At the Estates through January 4, 2014.
- Celebrate the holidays with your young children at the family-friendly LEGOLAND Florida Christmas Bricktacular through December 29.
Photo: Epcot © Dawn Henthorn, licensed to About.com
Thursday December 5, 2013
What do you call a holiday celebration that features those LEGO and DUPLO blocks? A "bricktacular," of course! Having just celebrated their second anniversary in Florida, this is the third year that LEGOLAND Florida will celebrate the holidays LEGO-style. Besides festive decorations and sounds of the season, the celebration will include a Christmas tree built block-by-block out of 270,000 forest green LEGO and DUPLO blocks. However, the attraction is bringing in a real Santa who, I'm sure, hopes the kids will wish for plenty of LEGO toys for Christmas.
Wednesday December 4, 2013
Tickets go on sale Thursday for the Florida Strawberry Festival the most fun in West Central Florida and the best concert value around! The 2014 Festival will be held February 27 through March 9 in Plant City and the line-up of entertainment is as amazing as ever. Josh Turner, Ronnie Milsap, Little Big Town, Rascal Flats, Kellie Pickler, Boyz II Men and The Band Perry are just a few of the chart-topping names that will be appearing in the daily concerts.
While thousands of strawberry shortcake desserts are sold every year, a previous year's theme suggested, the Festival is "more than just shortcake" there are agricultural exhibits, contests, a thrilling midway... and the great concerts! We like to take home a flat of the juicy berries and make these Delightful Strawberry Pies.
Concert tickets are snatched up early, so purchase them as soon as possible. Advance tickets will go on sale Thursday, December 5, 2013 and may be purchased at the Amscot Main Ticket Office located at 2209 W. Oak Avenue in Plant City or online or over the phone (813-754-1996).
Ticket prices and concert line-up details.
Photo © Dawn Henthorn