To learn if your favorite American beach made the list, read more:
- Florida's 2013 Top Beaches
- Top 10 Florida Beach Vacations
- 10 Things To Do at the Beach
- Florida Beach Packing Tips
Photo © DrBeach.org
Universal Orlando has announced that their newest attraction TRANSFORMERS: The Ride - 3D will debut June 20, 2013, but it will cost you more to enjoy the new ride. The cost of a one-day, one-park ticket to Universal Orlando has jumped to $92, plus tax and admission for children ages 3-9 was increased to $86, plus tax — that's a $3 increase. This rate hike makes Universal the most expensive Orlando theme park and the first to top the $90 mark, but look for Disney World and SeaWorld Orlando to follow with a rate increase soon.
Plan your trip to Universal Orlando:
Mother's Day is now behind us, but one of the heaviest travel weekends is ahead — Memorial Day. Although it comes a bit earlier on the calendar this year — May 24-27 — this is the weekend that seems to mark the beginning of summertime travel; and, every year AAA forecasts millions of Americans will take to the roadways. Travelers can pave the way to a smooth trip with these timely tips and bits of information that specifies new traffic laws.
If you're not sure whether it's cheaper to fly or drive to your destination? Check this cool cost calculator from AAA and places to find the cheapest gasoline.
This can also mark the beginning of Florida's unrelenting summer heat and humidity. Make sure you are aware of heat stress symptoms and try these tips to beat the Florida heat. And, finally, if you're wondering what's splattering up your windshield, it's likely unlovely "love bugs." Learn what's bugging you and the best way to clean the little critters off your windshield.
The Florida Folk Festival will be held May 24-26 at the Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center State Park in White Springs. The annual event, always held on Memorial Day weekend, brings together the state's ethnic groups in a celebration of their culture. It's a great way to learn about Florida's early customs through food, music, dance, craft demonstrations and more.
In addition, this would be a great time to visit the Stephen Foster Museum located in the park and listen to the Carillon play Stephen Foster's songs.
- What: Florida Folk Festival
- When: Friday, May 24 thru Sunday, May 26, 2013
- Where: Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center State Park in White Springs, Florida
Photo of Stephen Foster Museum © Dawn Henthorn, licensed to About.com
If you blinked, you probably missed Florida's spring this year. After a longer-than-usual winter we had only a few comfortable spring-like days. Now, it's not even officially summer and we're experiencing temperatures in the mid- to-high 80s. Whether you're pounding the pavement at a theme park or basking in the sun at the beach, the heat can be a problem if you're not used to it and don't take the proper precautions. Remember these common sense and fun ways to keep your cool in the hot Florida sun. Also, if you're planning a trip this summer to Florida's favorite theme parks, try these great tips for overcoming the heat at Disney World.
Learn how to treat common heat-related illnesses from About.com's First Aid Guide, Rod Brouhard:
Photo © St. Pete-Clearwater CVB
Universal Orlando has revealed the complete lineup of performers for the 2013 Summer Concert Series. The talented lineup of Grammy Award-winning and Billboard chart-topping artists take to the stage beginning Saturday, June 1 and each Saturday through July 6. The performances are included with admission to Universal Studios Florida, but those wanting to visit solely for the concerts can purchase a special ticket providing one-time access to Universal Studios after 7:00 p.m. The 2013 Summer Concert Series lineup includes:
- June 1 - NE-YO
- June 8 - Nickelodeon's Big Time Rush
- June 15 - Gavin Degraw
- June 22 - Earth, Wind & Fire
- June 29 - Adam Lambert
- July 6 - Kip Moore
In addition, Universal Orlando has announced the opening date for its newest attraction TRANSFORMERS: The Ride - 3D — Thursday, June 20, 2013. The action-packed ride experience will push the limits of technology to place riders in the middle of a larger-than-life battle between the Autobots and the Decepticons. The ride, based on the iconic Hasbro TRANSFORMERS brand, will recruit guests to help protect the AllSpark — a powerful energy source that would allow the Decepticons to destroy the planet. Guests board EVAC — an Autobot created exclusively for the attractions — to transport the AllSpark to safety. Beware... the Decepticons are in close pursuit.
Plan your trip to Universal Orlando:
Photo © Universal Orlando
- What: Star Wars Weekends
- Where: Disney's Hollywood Studios
- When: Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays - May 17 thru June 9, 2013
If you live in Orlando or are visiting the city in May, you're in for a special epicurean treat. Orlando Restaurant Week now includes a month-long stretch of prix fixe menus at some of Orlando's finest restaurants. The event which kicked off yesterday, May 1, and continues through May 31 features high-value $10 & $15 two-course lunches and $25 & $35 three-course dinners at more than 25 local restaurants. So, choose your price point, choose your restaurant, check out the menu... then go eat! Reservations are suggested for dinner.
Read more about Florida's Restaurant Weeks to learn more about May events — Clearwater Beach Restaurant Week (May 12-18, 2013) and Capital Cuisine Restaurant Week (May 16-28, 2013).
Plan your trip to Orlando with this informative Orlando Vacation Planning Guide.
Photo © Getty Images
This just "may" be the perfect month to be out and about in Florida — it's not too hot, summer thunderstorms aren't usually a threat and there are just so many great events taking place!
- The Key West Songwriter's Festival kicks off Wednesday, May 1 and continues five days through Sunday, May 5. The festival features more than 100 top songwriters and revolves around more than 30 shows.
- Also kicking off Wednesday is South Florida's largest waterfront music and art festival — SunFest — that showcases top musical talents. This spectacular festival continues through Sunday, May 5 in Downtown West Palm Beach.
- This weekend is your last chance to enjoy Viva La Musica, Saturday at SeaWorld Orlando and Sunday at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. Performances at this Central Florida can't-miss Latin food and concert festival are included with daily admission, a Fun Card or annual pass.
- Epcot's International Flower & Garden Festival showcasing thousands of spectacular blooms and weekends filled with gardening workshops and Eat to the Beat! concerts continues through Sunday, May 19.
- Don't forget Mother's Day — Sunday, May 12 — and these weekend adventures and getaways... some of them offer free admission for Mom!
- Once again the power of the force and the magic of Disney will combine for Disney's Star Wars Weekends. The sci-fi fun kicks off Friday, May 17 and continues weekends through June 9.
Check this blog later for information on the Florida Folk Festival (May 24-26) and Memorial Day Weekend events (May 25-27). Traveling to Florida in May? These tips can help you know what to expect — from the weather to crowd levels and special events:
Photo © Dawn Henthorn, licensed to About.com
Cloudy skies and isolated thunderstorms are in the forecast for Central Florida this weekend, but there will still be plenty of sunshine to enjoy these outdoor events.
- Only two weekends remain for Viva La Musica, Central Florida's can't-miss Latin food and concert festival that continues each Saturday at SeaWorld Orlando through May 4 and each Sunday at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay through May 5. Performances are included with daily admission, Fun Card or annual pass.
- Enjoy spring's beautiful blooms at the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival that continues through May 19, 2013. Of course, you won't want to miss the free Flower Power Concerts during the weekend that will feature The Orchestra, featuring former members of ELO and ELO II. The festival and concerts are included with general admission to Epcot.
Photo © Dawn Henthorn, licensed to About.com