What do you call a holiday celebration that features those LEGO and DUPLO blocks? A "bricktacular," of course! Having just celebrated their second anniversary in Florida, this is the third year that LEGOLAND Florida will celebrate the holidays LEGO-style. Besides festive decorations and sounds of the season, the celebration will include a Christmas tree built block-by-block out of 270,000 forest green LEGO and DUPLO blocks. However, the attraction is bringing in a real Santa who, I'm sure, hopes the kids will wish for plenty of LEGO toys for Christmas.
- What: LEGOLAND Christmas Bricktacular
- Where: LEGOLAND Florida, Winter Haven, Florida
- When: Saturday & Sundays, December 1-30, 2013
Tickets go on sale Thursday for the Florida Strawberry Festival the most fun in West Central Florida and the best concert value around! The 2014 Festival will be held February 27 through March 9 in Plant City and the line-up of entertainment is as amazing as ever. Josh Turner, Ronnie Milsap, Little Big Town, Rascal Flats, Kellie Pickler, Boyz II Men and The Band Perry are just a few of the chart-topping names that will be appearing in the daily concerts.
While thousands of strawberry shortcake desserts are sold every year, a previous year's theme suggested, the Festival is "more than just shortcake" there are agricultural exhibits, contests, a thrilling midway... and the great concerts! We like to take home a flat of the juicy berries and make these Delightful Strawberry Pies.
Concert tickets are snatched up early, so purchase them as soon as possible. Advance tickets will go on sale Thursday, December 5, 2013 and may be purchased at the Amscot Main Ticket Office located at 2209 W. Oak Avenue in Plant City or online or over the phone (813-754-1996).Ticket prices and concert line-up details.
Photo © Dawn Henthorn
The offer is valid only to current Florida residents of any age. A valid Florida photo ID must be presented to redeem this offer.
© 2013 LEGOLAND Florida/Merlin Entertainments Group, Chip Litherland Photography
It's just a card... but right now it can buy more fun than ever before! Floridians can purchase a Fun Card now and get the holidays free... as well as unlimited admission through 2014! SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay are all decked out for the holidays and now you can get unlimited access to all the special holiday shows and activities before the end of the year simply by buying a 2014 Fun Card now. This would make a great holiday gift for anybody on your shopping list!
After four years of increase, AAA forecasts that travel for the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend will decrease 1.5 percent. That translates into 43.4-million total Thanksgiving holiday travelers with the largest decrease in air travel — 3.7 percent. There is both good and bad news for those traveling for the holiday.
Those traveling by automobile in Florida this weekend will see good news at the pumps. Gasoline prices have steadily declined over the last few weeks to an average of $3.41 a gallon of regular today, slightly higher than last year. And, if you're traveling from out of state from the north, and northeast you will find gasoline even cheaper along the way — North and South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky and Tennessee all are today reporting average gasoline prices lower than Florida.
Whether you're driving or flying, the bad news will be the weather. A large storm system is making its way toward the East and will likely affect holiday travelers Tuesday and Wednesday. In Florida, Tuesday afternoon and evening into Wednesday morning will see a significant amount of rain and possible severe thunderstorms. Air travelers can expect weather-related delays and possible flight cancellations.
If you are driving in Florida this weekend, besides exercising caution in inclement weather, it is important to note the traffic laws of the state, including the new "move-over" act, use of seat belts, child restraint laws and the increasing use of red light cameras by many communities.
Also read these important money-saving tips for travel:
- What: Grand Prix of St. Petersburg
- Where: Downtown St. Petersburg
- When: March 28-30, 2014
Take a photo tour of Downtown St. Petersburg.
Fall events are giving way to holiday celebrations across Florida. And, although there is a slight chance of isolated thunderstorms Friday in Central Florida, the rest of the weekend's forecast calls for plenty of Florida sunshine with cooler temperatures Sunday in the high 60s. Sounds like perfect weather to enjoy these fun activities:
- The Broward County Fair, the last of Florida's fairs for this year, opens tomorrow — Thursday, November 21 — and runs through Sunday, December 1.
- The time-honored tradition of Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party continues this Thursday and Friday evenings, November 21 & 22.
- The American Sandsculpting Championship Festival opens Friday, November 22 in Fort Myers and continues through December 1.
- The Nights of Lights celebration will illuminate downtown St. Augustine beginning Saturday, November 23 and the lights will continue to twinkle through January 31, 2014.
- Look for some frosty fun in Central Florida as this year's Gaylord Palms ICE! will feature Frosty the Snowman! The popular event kicks off this Saturday, November 23 and will continue to chill crowds through January 5, 2014.
- Take a trip on the Polar Express at sunny SeaWorld Orlando where holidays shows and experiences are included in regular park admission. The fun begins this weekend November 23 and continues through December 31, 2013.
Photo: Castmember decorating Epcot's holiday tree © The Walt Disney Company
The weather in Florida is great this time of year. The cooler and dryer weather provides the perfect atmosphere for outdoor recreation, particularly hiking, biking and in-line skating. Florida has miles and miles of trails throughout the state. Some are rural, some are urban, some are paved, some are not. If I were to set out tomorrow on a hike, you would find me along the Pinellas Trail. I live nearby, yet I've never taken the time to explore it. Other Florida greenways and trails that are at the top of my list are scattered throughout the state. All are at least partially paved, are handicap accessible and some are even open to equestrian use.
Perhaps if you're more into walking than hiking, biking or skating, you'll enjoy any of these urban places to take a stroll:
- Tampa's Bayshore Boulevard, the World's Longest Sidewalk
- Lakeland's Lake Mirror Park
- Largo's Heritage Village
- Town of Murals and Caladium Capital of the World, Lake Placid
Photo taken at Hillsborough River State Park © Dawn Henthorn, licensed to About.com
While most of us haven't even bought our turkey to serve for Thanksgiving, Christmas decorations are popping up everywhere and holiday celebrations will get underway this week at one theme park. Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party kicks off the season Friday night, November 8, at the Magic Kingdom. The special ticketed event will bring ice to Cinderella's Castle, a magical snowfall on Main Street, U.S.A. and complimentary cookies and hot cocoa to guests on 19 select nights through December 20, 2013.
Additional holiday treats include Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade, Holiday Wishes fireworks show, Totally Tomorrowland Christmas show and more.
Plan your Magic Kingdom visit:
- Magic Kingdom Overview
- Magic Kingdom Information Guide featuring a printable park map, hours, and more.
- Dining at the Magic Kingdom
- Magic Kingdom Transportation Tips
Photo © The Walt Disney Company
LEGOLAND Florida is saluting military veterans of the United States Armed Forces this month with appreciation days. All military veterans will receive free admission to LEGOLAND Florida everyday now through November 17, 2013. Veterans are also entitled to discounted tickets for up to six accompanying guests at $40 (plus tax) each. Veterans must present their military ID at the ticket window.
Additional activities on Veteran's Day, November 11, will include:
- Veterans will be invited to help "open" the park at the beginning of the day with a small celebration.
- Veterans and guests will help build an over-sized American flag made out of LEGO bricks.
- Veterans will receive a 20% discount on select retail and food and beverage items.
LEGOLAND Florida includes more than 50 rides and attractions designed for families with children ages 2 to 12 and is located in Winter Haven, Florida.