1. Travel
Dawn Henthorn

Disney World Raises Prices... AGAIN!

By June 1, 2013

Mickey Mouse

It's no surprise really. It happens twice a year, year after year. The theme park stampede to announce higher ticket prices. Less than two weeks after Universal announced they would be raising their admission to $92, Disney has announced that their own ticket increase will take effect tomorrow — Sunday, June 2. SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay will likely not be far behind.

Disney World's ticket price increase also includes some different twists to their ticketing process. Disney's Magic Kingdom is now $5.00 more expensive to visit for one day than any of their other parks. Visiting the Magic Kingdom for one day will now cost $95.00, plus tax for ages 10 and up; and, $89.00, plus tax for ages 3-9. Visiting either Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios or Disney's Animal Kingdom will set you back just $90.00, plus tax for ages 10 and up; and, $84.00, plus tax for ages 3-9. As always, children under the age of three are admitted free.

Although the "park hopper" and "water park fun & more" features jumped $2.00 each to $59.00, one of the biggest increases is in the "no expiration" feature -- they jumped $5-$50, depending on the number of days' tickets you purchase — annual passes which will take an additional $30-$35 out of your pocket each year. Most surprising (and upsetting for this Florida resident) is the hike in Florida Resident ticket options, including $10.00 for the Florida Resident Seasonal Pass to $39.00 for the Florida Resident Annual Pass.

Of course, there are three ways that help offset these high prices:

• Buy multi-day base tickets — the more days you buy, the cheaper the per day cost (7-day tickets are just $44.15 per day — 10-day tickets are just $33.90 per day).
  • Save the daily $15 parking fee by staying at a Disney on-property hotel and use the free transportation system.
  • Include the Disney Dining Plan in your vacation package and try these three ways to make Disney dining more affordable.
  • Purchase a refillable mug at your Disney resort hotel for one low price of $15.49, plus tax. Refills are available at your resort during regular hours at participating dining locations.
  • Bring your own stroller (saving $15 per day) and a refillable water bottle for theme park visits (saving $3-$9 per day)

Each year I ask, "When will Florida's visitors begin to say, 'That's too much!' and go elsewhere?" Although many are already priced out of visiting many theme parks, each year the parks continue to be crowded with visitors. If you've got an opinion about the rising cost of visiting theme parks, leave a comment below.

Comments
August 6, 2008 at 2:41 pm
(1) Susanna says:

Yes it’s ridiculous, I wanted to take my three kids to Disneyworld, but decided against due to the fact that it would cost more than $1000 for a family of five and, that’s just for the park!!!!

August 6, 2008 at 6:47 pm
(2) scott says:

I think the whole Disney experience is way over rated. You can stay on International drive for 40-75 a night and still get free shuttles to the parks. I say you choose the best parks, Universal Studios, Magic Kingdom, and Sea World. Set your budget maybe do two parks and hit Cocoa Beach!

August 7, 2008 at 4:16 pm
(3) Scarlet says:

Wow! When I was younger it was $25 to get into the park! How times have changed. It is a memory that I will not forget. So save your money and take your babies to the best place on earth!!! MEMORIES are worth it!

August 8, 2008 at 1:43 pm
(4) Karen says:

My family visited Disney World in December 2007 and we still talk about what a wonderful time we had. The price hikes are unfortunate, but they would not stop me from making another visit. It was an experience unlike any other as far as family vacations are concerned.

August 12, 2008 at 11:49 pm
(5) Krista newmiller says:

I guess I am Disney spoiled. I had been to WDW several times as a child, teen and young adult. I married and “shared” my love of Disney with my new spouse and we even honeymooned in WDW. We lived West coast a few years and did Disneyland with our first child and then back to WDW. We have probably been every other year the last decade. As much as we love it…we leave EVERY time thinking about how they find new ways to gouge people. Remember when we 30 somethings would weekend at the beach with family…and I mean extended family….in ONE room. Disney forces larger families to purchase TWO rooms. They advertise a family of four can vacation all week for less than $1600.00, yet if you times that by two which should accommodate a family of eight (we have six)how come it is NEVER only $3200.00? Why have they always had three and under for no charge and now they charge for a toddler rate? How come they have always sold the dining package with an appetizer and gratuity and they almost secretly removed those two features as of this year yet raised the price (AGAIN)..therefore people like us who have come every couple years and paid for one thing now are cheated thinknig it is still the same deal…we are going next month and that little surprise is going to cost us several hundred more dollars we did not count on and you guessed it, becasue we are a party of six, they AUTOMATICALLY add 18%! This time around it is easily going to cost us $7000…they make everything almost impossible to do with your family anymore. There used to be a reward system for frequent goers…a club you could get thru your employer that was a GREAT deal and incentive…then you had to pay to be a member of that “club” than they just did away with it completely! Until people stop going altogether (and with THIS economy I do not think that is such a stretch)Disney will continue to not care about their “guests” being offered a viable vacation option and only care about $$$$$$$$. It is sad. They should be ashamed…if not their prices then their sneaky and underhanded ways of tricking people into spending money they clearly were not expecting to..it would be like paying more for your park ticket but being blocked from all the good rides! At $7000, we will no longer be going every couple years and maybe never again.

August 13, 2008 at 3:07 pm
(6) Donna says:

I realize that Disney World has so much to offer but enough is enough! You can only do so much in a day and you have to ask yourself how much that day is really worth, in my opinion not $75. I just went to Williamsburg, Va which I realize is not Disney but my ticket was $90. and it is good for the whole year. You’d have to do alot of walking, get on alot of rides, go into alot of attractions. You have to ask yourself how much area you could truly cover in a day.

August 29, 2008 at 11:57 pm
(7) Maxpappy says:

I am tired of people whining about the price for a day at a Disney park. The single price not only gets you into the theme park for an entire day, it also includes admission to a variety of shows. $75 a day is NOTHING compared to the prices of decent seats at a sporting event, concert, or stage production that at best lasts only 3 or 4 hours. People just like to rag on Disney because they have been raised to be suspicious and negative of corporations. People, Corporations making money is a GOOD thing. They provide jobs. Disney provides QUALITY entertainment on a wholesome level. You are not going to get wholesome at a concert or sports event anymore. Quit whining.

August 30, 2008 at 12:05 am
(8) Maxpappy says:

BTW, it is writers like Henthorn that help contribute to the myth that these prices are too much. She actually started the cry-fest with the way she wrote the article. When was the last time she wrote an article about the raising of prices of her Horse Racing newspaper? She contributes to the malaise this country feels more than Disney. Hey, if you don’t like the price, go somewhere else. Disney Parks create a demand. The parks can only take so many guests. So to keep it under control, they raise the price. Keeps the riff raff out.

August 30, 2008 at 12:46 am
(9) chica says:

My husband and I buy tickets to sea world, knotts berry farm, universal studios , and still pay under the price of disney land

December 12, 2008 at 12:42 am
(10) Kevin preston says:

I paid $2,100 for the 1 year passes for my whole family and really used them things up, even after going there my entire life.
Before the passes each vacation at Disney just got worse from food to locker rentals and the arguing over the prices.
The one year passes made it bearable as well as we live 45 minutes from the park.

As far as entertainment value the place sucks unless you’re a Disney World virgin. My kids even got sick of all 4 parks.

When it came time to renew the passes they offered a measly $35.00 of the RAISED annual pass price. I asked them for a yearlong fass pass for my family to ease the line burden and I would have renewed but they said that was impossible. My response was that I will NEVER step foot on Disney property again under my money. I don’t even shop in Disney stores of which they don’t even own.

If you do any research on those passes the discounts are extremely hidden and unfair. Try and use the food discounts in the park and see how far you get. I tried it in Epcot and even the Mangers didn’t know about the discount and/or the discount was available only on certain days.
If you want merchandise discounts they were only available in downtown Disney.

They even changed the chicken strip meals which were the best value to chicken nuggets, raised the price and gave you less.
Disney world is a nickel and dime corporation and give you absolutely NO NEW VALUE to the experience other than long lines and high prices. Even their movies repeat the same story line.
Stay in their hotel and figure that scheme out, the direction you are facing determines whether its $300 or $400 a night rooms, not size or comfort because all the rooms are the same exact size and layout. You can argue with the hotel manager and they will only say, Well SIR, they are ONLY $400.00 rooms like it’s no big freakin deal! After roaming 35 miles on foot all day as well as standing in line for hours on end I give a crap what the manmade lake looks like off my balcony, I care less about the view and it aint worth an extra $100.00 and you don’t get included breakfast like you do with a regualr Hilton or Mariott for FAR LESS CHEAPER than you do on Disney property. Has insanity left the property or something? Must be a Disney thing because Goofy is in the freaking White House as we speak. These people have a complete disconnect with the real world.
Nickel and Dime along with greed = Disney in my opinion.

K. Preston

December 12, 2008 at 1:05 am
(11) Kevin Preston says:

I wanted to say something in my last comment I forgot.

There was one good memorable moment and that was when I took my daughter diving in the Dive Quest tank which was formally known as the Living Seas in Epcot and is some Nemo thing.

It was something completely unexpected and different from anything Disney and I think that is why it is successful.

They also need to bring back Dreamfinder and Figment, that’s the characters I loved from Epcot.

Anyway, I suspect that requesting CEO Robert Iger give up part of that 27 million a year salary in order to lower ticket prices to something reasonable is futile but I thought I would give it a try.

I thought Michael Eisner was making way too much but come on!

Do people actually believe a single man is worth that much while the people who actually do the working get minimal wage, no benefits and a product that is waaaaaaaay over priced?

Can we say recession, greed, bankrupt America, bailouts, and did I mention greed already?

KP

February 21, 2009 at 11:58 pm
(12) L. Carl says:

Remember, Disney does not want you to visit Florida, just DWD. Your best deals are given when you stay in the park at off peak periods. What frustates me is that dealing directly with Disney Travel usually ends up costing you more.

Not only has there been price incresses, but the employees do not seem as happy.

I think they should start giving internet specials, like Universal Studios.

Still, we keep getting drawn back year after year. I love the Magic Kingdom at night.

July 31, 2009 at 11:10 pm
(13) motherof3 says:

I don’t have an economics or business degree and I’m not a rocket scientist. Even I can figure out why Disney is losing revenue in their theme parks. When the world economy is sluggish, people are not going to pay $10000 for a once in a lifetime vacation. When a one day trip would cost my family of 5, with a free 2 year old, our entire grocery budget for a month. So use some logic and lower prices in every way. The bad food, the gate prices, the parking fees. Bring in more people because they don’t feel they are going to break the bank by visiting.

We were recently blessed with free admission from Disney employees whose son worked with my husband. Our 3 young daughters love the Princesses as well as Mickey. Even with free admission, we still spent a fortune.

The food was lousy. Not what I would consider up to par for Disney. The “kids meal” with its mushy nuggets, prepackaged rotten baby carrots and even grosser grapes. Remember we have 3 kids-so it wasn’t just one bad bag, they were all bad. Our adult meals were just as bad. McDonald’s is gourmet compared to the food we had. Most of the refreshment carts are closed, so you have to find a restaurant to get a drink. It’s Florida and 95 degrees.

I started looking around and noticed paint peeling everywhere and things generally not as pristine as it used to be.

Where is Mickey? What does every child under 10 want to see when they come to Disney? He’s hiding in Toontown with a mile long line, for the few hours each day he is there.

I’ve lived in Florida since 1983, when a 3 day pass cost $78. It has not gotten better with age. There is no reason for locals to come time and again. You take your kids when they’re little and you think, “this is not as great as I remember.” Then you don’t go back.

August 3, 2009 at 11:48 am
(14) Leah says:

I love Walt Disney World, but the sky rocketing ticket prices are too much! Until last year, I averaged 3-4 weeks of vacation a year at Disney World- even got married there. But this year I have spent 2 weeks so far in Orlando, and only 3 days at Disney for the main reason I am not paying the outrageous prices! People should be more vocal toward Disney in protest!

August 4, 2010 at 12:02 pm
(15) Jewell M. says:

August 5, 2010 at 11:41 am
(16) Tiffany says:

My family LOVES Disney, but the prices are insane! Being a family of 5, it costs an arm & a leg just for us to spend a few days going to the 4 parks. So, we don’t go. We opt for better pricing and more fun at SeaWorld and Gatorland. We also head over to Busch Gardens on occasion. My whole family enjoys interacting with the animals and watching the shows. They even have rides! We spent $600 on 2 YEAR passes for the whole family at SeaWorld. That means free parking, no block out dates, and great discounts on food & gift shop purchases! We will however be going to Disney in October because we volunteered & got free tickets. Of course thats only 1 day though. I’m sure we’ll be spending a fortune on things like parking & food. We’ll have to make up for it by heading over to SeaWorld after.

August 7, 2010 at 10:17 am
(17) Richard says:

You forgot a fourth option on how to save on the cost: don’t go!

Wake up people, stop giving the Disney empire money, they don’t need it, you do.

August 8, 2010 at 8:33 am
(18) Eileen from Florida says:

to those of you with big families, I want to suggest that you can “rent” disney vacation club points. There is an unofficial disney site where you can do this, you will have to google it, but we have done this and saved a small fortune. As far as I know its perfectly legal and legit, you are “renting” points not buying. We just stayed at animal kingdom villas and saved over 50% on what rack rate would have been.. I have done this a few times now and have never had a bad experience of dealing with an unscrupulous person. The owner has to make the reservation for you but everything wil be in your name.

October 19, 2010 at 8:59 am
(19) Nelly says:

Well I think no matter how high the rate of Walt Disney people will still go…is Simply because Disney is a one stop fun for everybody. Anyway, I believe that increase in price would mean better services and improvement of facilities etc.

January 3, 2011 at 1:08 pm
(20) Keith says:

I just returned from Disney and I cannot believe the prices these days. This is my eighth time going and we found the foods to be horrible. It the same items in each places. Why doesnt Disney change the menu around ? How would they like it to eat a hamburger for dinner every night for 10 days ? The prices are unreal also. I spent almost 10 bucks a meal per person. Add 11 people in my party and that will ring up a nice amount. The lines were long, but that because it was christmas time. We stayed in a house off-site and the total price was 1400 for the 10 days, and that is only 140 per night. Took us only 20 mins to get into the park, but with 11 people and splitting the house cost 3 ways, we all paid just below $500 per family to stay 10 days. But come on Disney, change the menu, fix the prices or at least have a meal deal for the day so that we can save some money on food and spend it on gifts !!! After all, it supposed to be the park where dreams come true ??? It not coming true for many families because they CANT AFFORD THESE PRICES DISNEY !!!!

January 12, 2011 at 1:35 pm
(21) caroline says:

everybody is jumping on the band wagon,in every country.ive been coming 2 disney 4 18 years now,hopefully the last time doing the parks this year they r just getting 2 expensive along with all the other parks.people are struggeling 2 manage on a day 2day basic,i love disney but lets face it nothing changes that much.it will end up like spain,empty especially with the british.parking now gone up,why should u have 2 pay shouldnt they have a car park when u have paid..asda dont charge.

February 19, 2011 at 6:31 pm
(22) Sonya says:

You can also enter sweepstakes for either direct tickets to Disney World or money that you can use for the trip. That is exactly what I am doing. I just entered a wolf made from scotch tape into the scotch tape off the roll contest. The grand prize is $5,000. Please vote for us and make my little kids dreams come true.

title
Don’t Get Caught By The Big Bad Sticky Wolf

artist
Sonya C

location
Winslow, ME

Artist’s Statement

I just taped and molded until my blob started to look like something familiar. I noticed the shape looked like a wolf, so I just added a nose and some eyes and a tongue to enhance it.

February 27, 2011 at 7:24 am
(23) Bryce says:

We were thinking about bringing our family of five to Disney World this year, however after going onto Disney’s website and seeing the prices, we can’t fit it into the budget. I am assuming that Disney will price themselves out of business. A person should expect a better experience with higher prices, but after reading all the comments above, I can see that the services are getting worse. I will NOT be taking my family to Disney World until thes issues get resolved. I am sure that I am not alone.

June 13, 2011 at 5:27 pm
(24) Carole says:

It’s getting so that we grandparents can’t afford to taken our grandchildren to Disney any more and their parents have to take a loan or mortgage the house to vacation here! It’s a shame, but I don’t see an answer!

June 16, 2011 at 2:58 pm
(25) Bruce says:

I’ve been going to DisneyWorld since 1973 when a two-day coupon book with admission was approximately $17.50. True, times have changed but we’re looking at 500% increase. We would go at least twice a year up until 2000. The prices have certainly gone to the range of unaffordable and especially in today’s economy when Disney should be considering lowering their prices considerably. Unfortunately I haven’t been there since 2000 and don’t know when I can afford to go again.

June 16, 2011 at 11:08 pm
(26) Sally says:

The price is ridiculous. I thought Disney was suppose to be family oriented. How can even a family of four afford to go to Disney–not too many ordinary everyday people can!

June 22, 2011 at 10:49 am
(27) Sprtnman92 says:

Not exactly Walt’s idea for an affordable, family friendly place to go. We have visited many times over the last 10 years, but are now reconsidering any more visits. Basically, the only way the Disney Co. will quit raising prices is if we all stop going (simple supply and demand concept). It has to hit them in their wallets…I do hope something changes the trend, as WDW trips are something that most children dream of. Though the dreams can last a lifetime, making them priceless in theory, the reality is many cannot afford it any more.

July 1, 2011 at 7:07 am
(28) michele says:

I live an hour and 15 minutes from Disney and have been twice in 35 years

August 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm
(29) leslie says:

I do not understand those that enjoy the Disney experience. We as a family have been only twice and will never go back. We were miserable.
First, you pay outrageous prices to get into the park that is so over crowded I felt unsafe even putting my three year old down. The wait at most rides was well over an hour so by the time we walked to each ride, we rode only three things all day long, standing in line for a total of 4 hours and 20 minutes for a total of 11 minutes of ride time. I don’t understand anyone that would stand in line a hour and a half for a 3 minute ride. Everything is way over priced, you even had to stand in line to see Mickey. Why isn’t he at least wandering around.
For the money you spend there you could go to Europe, which is what we are doing this fall. We are spending less than a weeks stay at Disney, seeing castles, London, and the Eifel Tower and my children will get a much better experience and not get trampled.

October 27, 2011 at 6:42 pm
(30) lisa m says:

i am a disney fanatic. we have gone every year since 2005 and i have always gone using either room discounts or free dining.when we went this past September they raised prices for everything, the food, beverages, the evc’s, absolutely everything.

also this past trip i felt that i was offered less for my money . this year we waited 65 minutes just to leave orlando airport on magical express. the past years we only had a 5-15 minute wait. the disney bus transportation to get to the parks was the worst. some mornings we waited 45-60 minutes to get to the parks and we stayed at a moderate resort. buses never ran that infrequently in previous years/trips and we always have been fortunate to stay at moderates. food portions were also noticeably smaller in comparison to last year at some of the counter service locations. in 2011 they will also cut monorail service when magic kingdom has extra magic hours.

. today i was considering taking my daughter and nephew this coming august. i priced out my vacation and was disgusted. next year it will cost almost the same for two of us to go as it did this year for three of us thanks to increases in park tickets and the hotel rooms. to me this is disgusting.

i will not be going back. i understand that disney is there to make $$$ but they should be ashamed of themselves. if i had to pay more for a vacation than offer me more or at least the same. with disney vacationers are paying more for much less of everything.

this year i will be paying $900 for a week on a cruise boat to the bahamas (which includes meals and entertainment) compared to $1900 for week at disney without meal plan when disney stops their trend of making vacationers pay more for much less, i will be back. until then we will be making other vacation plans..

October 29, 2011 at 8:09 pm
(31) Darrel says:

Thought my family and I would try Disney World at Christmas this year. Having grown up in Disneyland’s backyard, I remember reasonable pricing when I was a kid. Today’s pricing outpaces inflation at hyper speed.

It seems Disney is choosing to exclude the middle class family. A vision, I am confident, Walt Disney did not envision. What a shame.

We’ll be going to Dollywood this Christmas.

Darrel – Texas

November 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm
(32) disgusted says:

Overpriced and overrated

Food-horrible

Character breakfast at the contemporary. 3 kids 2 adults = 175.00. That’s insanity!! Food was horrible!!

As long as we keep bringing our kids, we will keep feeding the Disney money machine!!

May 19, 2012 at 3:59 pm
(33) donna Hafferman says:

I have visited disney about 10 times….i just checked on a trip for my family…6 adults, 1seven yr old and one infant….last time we all went about 4 years ago it was about 5500 staying in a 2bedroom villa at the wilderness lodge with all the bells and whistles…dining, park hopper…waterparks….just about had a heartattack when they gave me a price of 9000$!!!! How does it go up that much in 4years? Absolutely ridiculous!!!!

June 3, 2013 at 2:22 pm
(34) Gus says:

Disney is the place where most families dream will never come true. Mickey has joined in on all the corporate greed which has turned this country into €%#€

June 3, 2013 at 11:34 pm
(35) Vicki says:

Yaaay. Maybe now that rude families and their big fat strollers can’t afford to go, Disneyland will be less crowded, more enjoyable and I won’t get hit with strollers!

June 4, 2013 at 11:37 am
(36) Rob says:

I spent all morning looking for the “I hate Disney forum” before finally finding this. Rare to find a forum full of people commenting on something they hate so much. It would be great if everyone posted what is a better alternative. Universal Studios? Yeah right. Went there a few years ago and cost about the same as Disney. Except, they want you to pay double the ticket for the line skipper pass. If you don’t buy that, forget it. You won’t ride half the stuff. SeaWorld? Same price but you get the experience of packing everyone into 2 shows a day.

Like someone said above, compare to other things. Sporting events cost as much as this for 2-3 hours. NFL is about 3 times this per ticket. Movies run for a good $10 a person for 90 minutes of some rehashed remake. Go to your local carny and get some fried butter sticks. If you don’t want Disney entertainment, there are cheaper options. Just don’t forget you get what you pay for. Maybe Disney can sell deep fried butter sticks with oreos serving as the ears.

June 5, 2013 at 7:44 am
(37) James says:

What is this? Every time when I planned for Disney with my family, I always get to know about hike in tickets for Disney. I have never understood why its price keeps increasing year by year.

Many of my friends and relatives visited to Disney in past and at that time it was quite affordable at that time but now it’s too costly. Have to think twice before planning itself.

Thanks for sharing this important information

July 5, 2013 at 2:09 pm
(38) Josue says:

Disney World Is Overrated They Have Rides That Are Old Like Splash Mountain Pirates Of The Caribbean Is Small World They Over Promoted Making It Seem Great When Is Good But Not That Great High Prices They Need To Lower Their Prices But As Along People Continue To Go To Theme Park They Wont Lower Their Prices If People Would Stop Going Then They Might Consider Lowering Their Prices

July 27, 2013 at 1:10 am
(39) Amy says:

As for season pass holders having to pay more…maybe you should try complaining about no income tax. Us out-of-state tourist foot the bill with the overinflated lodging tax. I find the service of Disney World excellent especially compared to the rest of Florida. Economics built the mouse empire; it can take it down also.

January 4, 2014 at 8:42 pm
(40) Richard Lopez says:

Just visited Epcot, Hollywood studios and Magic Kingdom and not only the prices are outrageous to get into the park that is so over crowded
and the wait at most rides was well over 2 hours so by the time we walked to each ride, we rode only three things all day long, standing in line for a total of 6 hours for a total of 9 minutes of ride time, I don’t understand anyone that would stand in line for 2 hours for a 3 minute ride. Everything is way over priced, you even had to stand in line to see Mickey. Disney will continue to not care about their “guests” being offered a viable vacation option and only care about $$$$$$$$. It is sad. They should be ashamed…if not their prices then their sneaky and underhanded ways of tricking people into spending money they clearly were not expecting to..it would be like paying more for your park ticket but being blocked from all the good rides! Now they want you to pay double the ticket for the line skipper pass. If you don’t buy that, forget it. You won’t ride half the stuff. Because they only care about the ones that spend more money on their tickets. It will or may have, reached the level that they could price themselves out of customers. Common sense often eludes big business. Too bad, since Walt Disney didn’t intend it to be this way. Walt Disney is nothing more than overpriced garbage. You pay all that money to stand in 2 hour lines, buy overpriced food, and go home at the end of the day feeling like a schmuck for paying all that money to go on 4 rides if you’re lucky.

January 5, 2014 at 12:54 am
(41) EMC says:

Richard… I just returned as well. Yes, I agree mostly. Crowded and overpriced, but just for the holidays.

Must correct you though. You don’t pay more for so called line jumper passes. They are Fast Pass, or FastPass+. You get the former at each ride station, and the latter you get, at least for now, by being pre selected guests at a Disney Resort which allows you to get your FastPass online. BOTH are free.