Who's the leader of the club that's made for you and me? M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E!
Inspired in part by Disney guests who frequented the Company's resorts and theme parks year-after-year, the Disney Vacation Club concept is stamped with Disney's special brand of imagination and innovation.
Launched in October 1991, the Disney Vacation Club (DVC) has now grown to include more than 475,000 member families from throughout North America and about 100 different countries, making it one of the most successful and highly rated vacation ownership programs. Not only does the DVC accommodate guests with a flexible vacation product, but is designed to meet their every-changing vacation needs as they pass through different phases of their life."What excites me most about this tremendous growth is that we’re not only creating new accommodations, but new experiences," said Disney Vacation Club President Jim Lewis. "Each of the projects we’ve undertaken at DVC is unlike anything previously available in our resort portfolio, and our newest vacation experiences proudly build on that tradition."
Like many other vacation ownership programs, Disney Vacation Club is grounded in real estate ownership, but it has brought innovative new elements to its vacation ownership product. Anyone can sell accommodations, but only Disney can offer the imaginative environment, the entertainment and programs that are so uniquely part of Disney.
How does it work?Anchored by the purchase of a deeded real estate interest, membership provides guests with the freedom to tailor vacations to their personal needs as their family's vacation interests change over time.
Unlike traditional timeshare programs, Disney Vacation Club members are not locked into a single week or fixed time period at a single resort. Disney Vacation Club membership is based on a "vacation point" system. Each year, members receive an annual allotment of vacation points that can be used in a variety of ways for different types of accommodations at a dazzling variety of resorts and for other vacation experiences, subject to availability.
Members can also elect to bank or borrow vacation points, use their vacation points in combination with renting accommodations on a cash basis, or can purchase an additional real estate interest at any time. New members can join the club with an initial purchase of just over $19,200, plus annual dues (although the average initial DVC membership price in 2010 was $23,000, plus annual dues).
Where can it be used?
Disney Vacation Club membership may be used to reserve accommodations at the member's "home resort" or they may exchange reserved home resort accommodations to stay at other Disney Vacation Club resorts at Disney World and other select Disney properties.
Recently added resort choices include:
- Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort within Disney World provides close proximity to Disney's Magic Kingdom, making it among the resort's most popular "amenities."
- Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas at Disney World feature intricate African-inspired details and home-like amenities with sweeping views of a savanna inhabited by a variety of African animals.
- Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa adjacent to Disney World's Downtown Disney, includes traditional villas and the unique Tree House Villas.
- Disney's Aulani Resort and Spa in Ko Olina, Oahu, Hawaii is a unique property featuring a relaxing atmosphere and family-friendly adventures.
About these new resort additions, Lewis said, "Our founder, Walt Disney, was well-known for having one foot in the past and one in the future. These new resort developments share that dynamic sensibility, blending modern luxury and design with nostalgic spirit."
Other resort choices include:
- Disney's Old Key West Resort (Disney World, Florida)
- Disney's Beach Club Villas (Disney World, Florida)
- Disney's BoardWalk Villas (Disney World, Florida)
- The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge (Disney World, Florida)
- Disney's Vero Beach Resort (Vero Beach, Florida)
- Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort (Hilton Head Island, South Carolina)
- The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Resort & Spa (Disneyland, California)
Also, at select Walt Disney World Resort properties — Disneyland Resort hotels in Anaheim, California; and Disneyland Paris hotels in France; Tokyo Disney Resort in Japan; and, Hong Kong Disneyland in China.
Additionally, through the Disney Vacation Club Member Getaways program, members have access to more than 500 premium resorts worldwide through an agreement with RCI, one of the world's largest vacation ownership exchange companies, or they may select from an elite collection of world-renowned hotels, sample an adventure travel experience like an African safari, take a cruise (including Disney Cruise Line itineraries) and much more.
What are the advantages?
Additional unique advantages to membership include special benefits such as various Disney discount offers and professional travel planners that are just a phone call (855-838-0814) or click (www.dvcmagic.com) away.
Members further become part of the DVC 'family' through its Disney Files magazine that offers helpful program information, member stories, DVC resort travel tips, exclusive member merchandise and discounts/privileges and special previews of upcoming Disney events.