The National Restaurant Association has published research that indicates clearly more than half — 53 percent — of Americans use restaurant-prepared takeout items for all or part of their Thanksgiving Day meals. The study also concluded that eleven percent celebrate Thanksgiving Day by dining in one of the nation's 945,000 restaurants.
While there are many reasons for families to dine out for Thanksgiving — convenience and travel come to mind — 79 percent of American adults say going to restaurants with family and friends is a better use of leisure time than cooking and cleaning up.
So, if you're going to be dining out for Thanksgiving, it is clear that reservations are a must to insure a quality meal in a desirable location. While many restaurants in hotels offer Thanksgiving buffets, space is limited and restaurants in popular locations, like Disney World and Orlando, are often booked months in advance. And, did you know that you don't have to be a hotel guest to dine at their restaurants?
Here are just a few suggestions in locales throughout Florida (prices, dishes and availability subject to change):
- Omni Amelia Island Plantation -
Enjoy a Thanksgiving Grand Buffet at the Amelia Plantation's Sunrise Cafe and Ocean Grill from 12:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Guests also receive a complimentary family photo.
A four-course Thanksgiving dinner will be served at The Verandah from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 904-261-6161 x5050 for reservations.
- The Ritz-Carlton - Enjoy a traditional Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings in the Ritz-Carlton Ballroom, served from 12:00 noon until 3:00 p.m. Reservations are required. Call 904-277-1028.
A Thanksgiving buffet featuring roasted turkey will be served in Cafe 4750 from 3:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Reservations are recommended. Call 904-277-1028.
A special four-course meal of organic turkey to be enjoyed in the elegant oceanfront surrounding of Salt at the Ritz-Carlton. Reservations are recommended. Call 904-277-1028.
- Swan and Dolphin Resort - The Garden Grove will serve a traditional Thanksgiving Buffet from 1:00 to 9:00 p.m., featuring roasted turkey, glazed ham and herb-crusted grouper with all the trimmings. Children will enjoy chicken tenders or pasta with meatballs and be thrilled with a visit from their favorite Disney characters. Adults $38.98, children (3-9) $18.99 and those under age three are complimentary.
A special Thanksgiving menu will also be available at the Fresh Mediterranean Market from 12:00 noon until 6:00 p.m.. Adults $31.95 and children $16.95.
- If you'll be at Disney World in November, you'll be happy to know you can get traditional Thanksgiving Day fare at these restaurants within Disney World's theme parks and at restaurants within these Disney World resorts.
- Rusty Pelican - Enjoy a Thanksgiving Day Champagne Brunch Buffet with outstanding views of Biscayne Bay. Serving from 10:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. Cost is $75.00 for adults and $30.00 for kids (ages 4-11). Children under age 4 eat free! Reservations recommended, call 305-361-3818
Thanksgiving Dinner will be served from 5:30 p.m. until 11:00 p.m. and feature turkey and stuffing. Fresh seafood and aged beef will also be available. Price averages $49 per person. Reservations recommended, call 305-361-3818
- Emeril's Miami Beach sadly closed in August.
- The Ivy House Restaurant in Williston (near Ocala) offers a Thanksgiving menu that's every bit as good as your mothers. This restaurant has repeatedly been named by Florida Trend Magazine as one of the top 400 places to eat in the state. Call 352-528-5410 for reservations.
- Caribe Royale on World Center Drive in Orlando will serve a traditional Thanksgiving Buffet from 1:00 to 7:00 p.m. in their Tropicále Restaurant, featuring a live Jazz Trio for entertainment. Adults are $44 and children ages 3-9, $15. Children under age three eat free. Reservations recommended, call 407-238-8020.
- Columbia Restaurant, with six locations in Florida, including Celebration south of Disney World, will be serving a traditional Thanksgiving feast of Roast Vermont Turkey, Columbia stuffing, fresh vegetables, whipped potatoes, candied yams, cranberry sauce and giblet gravy. Dinner also includes a choice of Columbia soups or Caesar salad. Dinner will be served from 11:00 a.m. throughout the day. The cost is a reasonable $21.95 for adults and $5.95 for children under 10. Reservations are required.
- Emeril's, located at Universal Orlando's CityWalk, will serve a traditional Thanksgiving meal as well as Cajun and Creole entrees.
- Gaylord Palms Resort - The Villa de Flora has a Thanksgiving buffet from noon until 10:00 p.m. It sells out early, so call 407-586-1114 soon for reservations.
Also, the Old Hickory Steakhouse will open at 4:30 for Thanksgiving dinner. Call 407-586-1600 for reservations.
- Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress - Offering a wide variety of traditional and non-traditional fare for Thanksgiving Day at La Coquina Chef's Table and Cascade.
- Rosen Plaza - This International Drive hotel is planning a Holiday Grand Buffet served in the Grand Ballroom of the hotel from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. The cost is $34.95 per adult, children (ages 4-12) $15.95 and children under age four eat free.
- Rosen Shingle Creek Resort - A Land Remembered has put together a special non-traditional Thanksgiving Day menu.
- About.com's Orlando Guide, Theresa Johnston compiled a list of popular places to dine on Thanksgiving Day that includes special buffets and brunches.