St. Augustine's original "red" train, Ripley's Sightseeing Trains is a great way to see the city and learn about its history. The narrated tours embrace the ancient city's history and riders may get off at any of more than 20 convenient stops along the route to explore St. Augustine at their leisure. Numerous discounted ticket packages are available that offer admission to some of St. Augustine's most popular attractions, and ticket-holders may park for free and ride the "Red Trains" for up to three consecutive days during their visit.
Ripley's Sightseeing Trains
170 San Marco Ave
St. Augustine, FL 32084
Toll Free Phone: 800-226-6545
Local Phone: 904-824-1606
Website: Ripley's Sightseeing Trains
Free Parking Locations:
- Stop #1 - *Sugar Mill Train Station, 170 San Marco Avenue
- Stop #2 - *Welcome Center Train Station, 168 San Marco Avenue
- Stop #3 - *San Marco Theater, 6 Castillo Drive
- Stop #4 - Parking Garage & Visitor's Information Center, 10 Castillo Drive
- Stop #5 - *City Gates Train Station
- Stop #11 - San Sebastian Winery, 157 King Street Street
The Bottom Line:
Visiting a city for the first time can be confusing, so taking a narrated tour is a great way to get acclimated to an area. While historic St. Augustine does not cover a lot of territory, its narrow streets and limited on-street parking make it difficult to navigate in your own vehicle. In this instance, parking and taking transportation to your destination makes a lot of sense.
Ripley's Sightseeing Trains' help make getting around St. Augustine easy. In business for more than 50 years, the Red Train is St. Augustine's oldest tour company. The "train" is an open-air tram-type vehicle with easy on and off access and drivers are knowledgeable about St. Augustine's rich history.
The hour and a half narrated train tour tickets are $16.99 for adults, $7.99 for children ages 6-12 and children under six ride free. Combination tickets are also available that can include Ripley's Believe It or Not! and Ripley's Ghost Train Adventure. Or, build your own combo ticket with exclusively discounted prices on a number of St. Augustine's most popular attractions. Narrated tour tickets include:
- Free Parking
- On & Off privileges at more than 20 stops
- Use train for up to three (3) consecutive days
- Free shuttle to Alligator Farm and Lighthouse
- Free on-demand shuttle to your hotel or bed & breakfast
- Complimentary admission to Bayfront Mini Golf
While this isn't the only tour operating in St. Augustine, taking this tour is one the best ways to see the ancient city and learn the significance of its history. The tour's on and off privileges are perfect for getting around to where you want to go; and, since the trains run every twenty minutes, there is usually not much of a wait.
- If you want to take the entire tour, I would suggest parking at the No. 1 Stop — Sugar Mill Train Station. If you are returning for a second or third day, parking at the Visitor Center parking garage is probably your best bet. It is centrally located so that you can hop on the train at three or four nearby locations, avoiding unnecessary stops.
- Just a word of caution. Since the train is open, weather can be a factor. Rain, wind, extreme cold or heat can leave you feeling a bit battered by the elements. Use a hooded lightweight weatherproof jacket to protect yourself from the cold or rain and dress in lightweight clothing and use plenty of sunscreen in the summer.